Thread APIs

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Tue Mar 8 07:55:09 GMT 2005

In message
<030820050345.21347.422D1FE0000C6DBC0000536321612436469C9D0A09019D020A0A9
D9A0E03030706 at att.net>, jimmaureenrogers at att.net writes

>Pardon me if this question is out of order.
>
>What is the effect of multiple inheritance on your thread API
>when two or more base classes are threads? Does this create
>a situation where one class generates two or more threads?
 >
>Is this a desirable situation? It seems to me that this could
>be a very difficult condition for a programmer to test and
>debug. Would the two or more threads be connected by any
>execution hierarchy? Would they be asynchronous with regard to
>each other? How would threads from different classes interact
>with these sibling threads?
>
>Again, please excuse me if my question is just plain ignorant.
>
>This situation does not occur in Java or Ada due to their single
>inheritance model.

The situation does not occur in the thread API model under discussion
because it is based on a no-inheritance model: threading is a matter of
delegation rather than parentage.

Kevlin

   Kevlin Henney                   phone:  +44 117 942 2990
   mailto:kevlin at curbralan.com     mobile: +44 7801 073 508
   http://www.curbralan.com        fax:    +44 870 052 2289
   Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review