[cpp-threads] Fixing the thread type

Douglas C. Schmidt schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu
Mon Nov 21 15:29:50 GMT 2005

Hi Nick,

> > We had a discussion about whether there should be a project
> > to develop a C++ binding to POSIX. We think that
> > we should investigate whether IEEE would be interested
> > in doing this.
>
> It's a crazy idea.  Until and unless POSIX comes up with a viable
> threading model, that is binding to a mirage.

Huh?  We've been doing this with ACE for the past 15 years, which is a
very widely used C++ toolkit for concurrent network programming.  Check
out

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/ACE/

for details.  I'm not suggesting ACE should be *the* C++ binding to
POSIX, but it's certainly not "a mirage".

Take care,

     Doug