[cpp-threads] Fixing the thread type

Jason Merrill jason at redhat.com
Mon Nov 21 20:35:05 GMT 2005

Nick Maclaren wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov <alexander.terekhov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>We had a discussion about whether there should be a project
>>to develop a C++ binding to POSIX. We think that
>>we should investigate whether IEEE would be interested
>>in doing this.
>
> It's a crazy idea.  Until and unless POSIX comes up with a viable
> threading model, that is binding to a mirage.

Viable or not, it exists, people use it with C++ code, and it ought to
be standardized.

My personal interest in a C++ binding has to do with the interaction of
pthread_cancel and EH, which is currently badly broken on Linux because
of a deadlock between the libc and C++ people.  I have a dream that a
POSIX C++ binding could break that deadlock.

Jason