[cpp-threads] Yet another visibility question

Peter Dimov pdimov at mmltd.net
Thu Dec 14 14:05:28 GMT 2006

Lawrence Crowl wrote:
> On 12/13/06, Peter Dimov <pdimov at mmltd.net> wrote:
>> Lawrence Crowl wrote:

>>> Soon.
>>
>> Any hints on how you intend to tag the atomic variables?
>
> There are distinct types, no tagging.  That is, atomic_int is a
> type name.

Hmmm. I've my doubts about that, it doesn't scale. Anyway, even under such a
formulation, it still makes sense to me to not impose this requirement at
memory model level; that is, not require TSO for all stores to the same
atomic variable, but require TSO for all atomic stores to the same variable
instead. This would leave you free to add a "non-competing store" operation
for the atomic types if such an operation turns out to be needed (I remember
Alexander Terekhov adding it to his atomic<> template at one point).