[cpp-threads] Revised Atomic Paper

Nelson, Clark clark.nelson at intel.com
Fri Aug 3 19:13:51 BST 2007

There's an HTML nesting problem in the "Prior Approaches" section, such
that the entire rest of the document is indented a few levels.

This is just a heads-up: in considering this and the memory model
proposal simultaneously, it is obvious to me that we need to define the
term "read-modify-write operation" somewhere in 1.10. I will have some
words for that in this mailing. You might want to delete the phrase "in
the sense of ... in 1.10p7" in the four places it occurs. At the very
least, you should delete the paragraph number from the reference; in the
standard, the granularity of a reference is a section.

Also, I don't think you need to add the parenthesized phrase "(when not
memory_order_relaxed)" in the discussions of various RMW operations. The
definition of "synchronizes with" already distinguishes relaxed
operations from others.

I understand the motivation for defining a global variable to provide
global synchronization. But given that users will in any event have to
modify their programs, and will have to insert the name of a global
variable to get global synchronization, is there any practical benefit
to using one provided by the standard over one provided by the user?

Clark