[cpp-threads] SC for IRIW on Power Architecture

Raul Silvera rauls at ca.ibm.com
Wed Jan 17 16:11:05 GMT 2007

(http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/eserver/library/es-archguide-v2.html)

> And people I asked at IBM agree with me. It is possible to twist some
> unintended meaning into a few statements in the spec to conclude that
this
> is SC, but they will hopefully be fixing/clarifying this.

This is still being debated inside IBM. In any case, regardless of how it
is achieved, the point is that there is a very significant overhead to
achieve SC on PPC, and that this overhead affects not just writers, but
also readers.