[cpp-threads] Coherence Requirement wording changes for 1.10p13

Michael Wong michaelw at ca.ibm.com
Thu Aug 5 15:08:57 BST 2010

Thanks, agreed.
Regarding the more then one vsse that Paul mentioned, I believed Section
2.2 Non-unique visible sequences of side effects and happens-before
ordering of the Batty et all paper alludes to it.  May be they can be more
convincing in any discussion.
But I also want people to be comfortable with this possibility before
allowing the change in the first modification.

Regards, Michael

Rational C/C++ cafe:
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/ccpp
My Blogs:
Parallel & Multi-Core Computing
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/blogs/ccpp-parallel-multicore
C++ Language & Standard
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/blogs/cpp-standard
Commercial Computing
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/blogs/ccpp-commercial
Boost test results
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2239&context=SSJT9L&uid=swg27006911

C/C++ Compilers Support Page
http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/ccompilers/support/
C/C++ Feature Request Interface
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27005811
XL Fortran Compiler Support Page
http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/fortran/xlfortran/support/
XL Fortran Feature Request Interface
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27005812

Michael Wong
XL C++ Compiler kernel Development
IBM Canada Ltd., C2/KD2/8200/MKM
8200 Warden Avenue
Markham, Ontario  L6G 1C7
W:905-413-3283 F:905-413-4839

        Re: [cpp-threads] Coherence Requirement wording changes for 1.10p13

        Paul E. McKenney
                         to:
                           Benjamin Kosnik
                                                             08/05/2010 09:01 AM

        Sent by:
              cpp-threads-bounces at decadent.org.uk
        Cc:
              C++ threads standardisation

  From: "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com>

  To:   Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz at redhat.com>

  Cc:   C++ threads standardisation <cpp-threads at decadent.org.uk>

  Sent  cpp-threads-bounces at decadent.org.uk
  by:

        Please respond to paulmck at linux.vnet.ibm.com, C++ threads
        standardisation <cpp-threads at decadent.org.uk>

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 01:05:47AM -0700, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> > I like the way this breaks out the write/write, read/read, ... cases!
>
> Yeah. This was done by popular demand after discussion. Makes it much
> easier to read now I think.
>
> Just wait till you see this with the coherence requirement list AND the
> pictures!!! (Apparently the document editor needs these in dot format.)

:-)

Hopefully at least one of these pictures will tell me how you can get
multiple visible sequences of side effects on a single atomic object
with respect to a single value computation, because I am not seeing it!

       Thanx, Paul